What’s this? A mid-week update? Is this a special occasion?
Why yes! Yes it is.
Tomorrow is my 2 year anniversary at work! I wanted to celebrate with some goodies but wanted to also somehow make them a little more special to the day than my usual Friday fare. Something featuring the Dark Lord.
So what do Darth Vader and my work have in common? The company I work for has jokingly been referred to in the past as “The Empire”. Not just in a “this is a huge corporate empire” sort of way, but actually in the “Join the dark side..” empire sort of way. By this point you can probably figure out where I work, but I’m going to pretend you don’t and just continue omitting the actual name.
Anyway, one of my favourite things about my company is how we’re able to laugh at ourselves. Exhibit A, this t-shirt I own:
I bought them immediately after I discovered them. And this.
Not quite as witty as the earlier apron, but also very cool. The tag may have said “Kid’s”. Who knows, it doesn’t matter.
The trouble with these cookie cutters is that I’m super lazy about decorating cookies. I always love doing the first one, and then kind of fudge the rest. However, I hate most super dry/hard sugar cookie recipes that would maintain the facial imprints clearly after baking. Then I found this recipe at Bake at 350. Post-baking photos showed the cookies with full detail and its taste was claimed to be “SO SO GOOD”. I had to give it a try.
I do believe I have found a new recipe for cut out cookies (especially ones I don’t feel like decorating!). They remind me of the cookie part of an Oreo, but much softer. The Oreo similarity makes me want to smother it in frosting, but who could cover up little Vader’s face?
Chewie tried but I wouldn’t let him. So he ate Vader instead.
Plushie Darth approved the resemblance.
So perhaps I own a lot of nerdy “collector’s items” *coughtoyscough*. No worries, I’m aware that I’m a huge nerd.
Example? My favourite cookie picture is the first one in this post because it reminds me of the Emblem of the Galactic Empire. Which is appropriate. Because it’s Vader! Get it?
Do you see it? Just me? Drat.
Happy work anniversary me!
Darth Vader Chocolate Cookies
Adapted from Bake at 350
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dutch-process cocoa (natural is OK, too)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- black gel food colouring
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour,cocoa, espresso powder and salt; set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light an fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In 3 additions, add the flour mixture at low speed. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Work in food colouring with your hands to desired darkness. Depending on your cocoa you may need more or less. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured and cocoa-ed surface. (mix the flour and cocoa together and use it like you would with straight flour to roll out cookies)
- Cut the cookies with Darth Vader cutter.
- Freeze cut cookies five minutes.
- Bake 8 minutes. Let cool completely.