When I went to Japan last month, I went with my best girlfriends that I’ve known since middle school. With that, Trevor wasn’t allowed to come along. Woo girls’ trip!
Not wanting to spend 2 weeks by himself at home, he planned his own trip with his brother, to wander around Alaska.
He had amazing time and took some of the most beautiful landscape photos I’ve ever seen. He brought back two pieces of information that he wanted discuss with me.
1 – Husky puppies at sled dog kennels are adorable (omg super jealous).
2 – There was some sort of lemon white chocolate cookie he ate while he was in Alaska that I had to go figure out how to make.
There was an issue though, his memory was hazy on what the cookies were called. Something to do with “cool.. or cold?”. Luckily, his memory on the cookie itself was much better.
“It’s like your chocolate chip cookie. Except the dough part was lemony. I remember seeing bits of peel. And instead of chocolate it was white chocolate!”
Alright, I could work with that.
So I took my go to chocolate chip cookie recipe and pumped it full of lemon via a little zest and a little extract, then swapped out the chocolate. Result?
A wonderful combo of tangy lemon offset by sweet white chocolate.
Apparently I nailed it! Trevor described it as “just like the other ones except you pulled them off better”.
Don’t mess with me when it comes to my husband’s baked good favourites. I’m the resident expert!
Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (finely grated from 2 medium lemons)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and extracts in large mixer bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in white chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for approx. 1-2 hours. Portion out on to cookie sheets and bake for 8 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. (Cookie centers will not look completely baked and will finish off after being removed from the oven.)
- Cool on pan for 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes approx. 3 dozen cookies, depending on cookie size.