I’m experimenting again!
I had to.
I found Rolo Minis in the candy aisle and knew I had to bake them into something.
They’re such perfect tiny vessels of caramel, allowing for many possibilities. Brownies, cookies, cupcakes… their convenient size makes them easy to insert into all kinds of baked goods.
Due to my crippling indecision, their destiny was determined by Trevor. He picked cookies.
Most Rolo cookies involve one standard sized Rolo, surrounded by chocolate cookie dough and baked.
I looked at this and looked at my many little Rolos and decided I could take this concept to the MAXTREME.
MAXTREME is a real word. Look it up. Wait, don’t actually. I doubt it’s in the dictionary because I’m lying.
But anyway, I TOOK IT TO THE MAXTREME with the help of an old recipe. Do you remember the Fudgey Chocolate Toffee Cookies? I do. It’s hard to forget 1.5 lbs of bittersweet chocolate packed into a batch of cookies. It would make for a perfectly MAXTREME cookie base.
I keep trying to type the word MAXTREME without using all caps, but the word only deserves caps. I’m not trying to yell at you, I swear.
Instead of throwing heath chunks and pecans into the chocolicious cookie dough, I threw in little Rolos and chocolate chips.
In all honesty, I would have preferred to do all Rolos, but the cookie recipe made more batter than I remembered, and one bag of Rolo minis was not enough to distribute enough gooey goodness throughout all the cookies. So I offset this with semisweet chocolate chips.
I can’t decide if this was a good or bad problem. Rolos near the edge of cookies oozed during baking and deflated parts of cookies, making them somewhat brittle in spots. More Rolos could potentially intensify the problem to an unstable degree. Picking up a cookie and having it fall apart to the floor before it reaches your mouth would be nothing short of a tragedy.
However, you would have more Rolos in every cookie.
This is going to take some experimenting and therefore many more caramel oozing cookies. *Sigh*, my life is so hard.
Fudgey Rolo Cookies
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 pounds bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups (packed) brown sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 8oz. bag of Rolo Minis
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (Although I would really like to try a second bag of Rolo Minis instead)
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; whisk to blend.
- Stir bittersweet chocolate and butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from over water. Cool mixture to lukewarm.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in bowl until thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until incorporated, then add Rolos and chocolate chips. Chill batter until firm, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with lightly greased parchment paper. Drop batter by large 1/4 cupfuls onto sheets, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still soft to touch, about 15 minutes. Cool on sheets.
Makes approx. 30 large cookies.