Last Friday was that time again.
March 14, aka 3/14 aka 3.14!
Like last year, I needed something more easily sharable than the standard deep dish pie, and for awhile, I considered Pie Pops, but I didn’t manage to get to the craft store to pick up lollipop sticks.
So I ditched the stick and just went with tiny pies.
Two things I have recently become obsessed with:
- Ever-so-lightly-pink lip glosses
- South Park: The Stick of Truth
The polar opposite nature of these two things are basically me in a nutshell.
I love my crass humour and my video games, but will still occasionally have to pause and coo at the shiny girly things.
I like to think of these brownies as an unapologetically disgusting yet hilarious sense of humour topped with an extra sparkly hit of Dolly gloss. Like me!
Let me explain.
I don’t like meringues. They’re chalky and they hurt my teeth.
And even the flavoured ones tend to taste like paper. Paper dipped in sugar syrup and left on a hot windowsill to harden.
But it’s not really a fair judgement as I’ve had a lot of supermarket meringues.
These… these are not supermarket meringues.
So I know you folks typically come here for the guilty foods. The gooey, the rich and the unabashedly fattening. And today I give you.. a salad?
What madness is this?
Well, there are a few reasons.
- After all that talk about pretending food is healthier than it is, I felt it might be time to do something actually healthy, no excuses required.
- Yesterday, I’d eaten what I think was one of the greasiest meals I’ve ever had at an Irish Pub for lunch earlier that day. It wasn’t even deliciously greasy, it was “I got deep-fried in old, not hot enough oil” greasy. So this salad for dinner was like the carrot in a day of chocolate ice cream, allowing me to pretend yet again that I was healthier than I actually am.
- Whether or not you want to believe me, this salad is pretty awesome, and not just for a salad.
Let me break down the awesomeness for you.